Desktop desires and questions

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Feb 19 21:53:32 UTC 2012

On 19Feb2012 12:35, les <hlhowell at pacbell.net> wrote:
| On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 19:33 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
| > Well, the accessibility icon (the picture of a person) in the top right
| > of the screen gives you access to large fonts. More control can be got
| > through the gnome-tweak-tool program.

I would be curious to hear anecdotes about how far the gnome-tweak tool
lets you go.

[...]
| Maybe KDE is the answer, but it seems like from what I see on the Web
| that KDE is headed this route as well.

I think one stylistic difference between Gnome and KDE is that KDE seems
anecdotally more about letting the user tune everything. Gnome aims to
conceal that, and offer the user a nice (by their measures) interface
with fewer knobs to clutter it. Disclaimer: I speak from ignorance here;
my own preferences are a little picky and I don't use either - my last
use of them is some years old now.

| Thanks for the suggestion and I am working on the interface issues
| myself.  Maybe a switch that says "my custom DM" will be the outcome.

Certainly the gnome-tweak tool should be easier to find, from what I've
seen on this list.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Yes, some GNOME developers are self-appointed control freak antifeature nazis
who've stripped functionality in pursuit of some theoretical "non geek" user
who does not exist, thereby crippling their software.
And probably some KDE developers are feature sluts who never saw a checkbox
they didn't love, exposing users to all kinds of broken features.
- Nat Friedman in the Gnome usability mlist, 13dec2005