Ogg to mp3, anyone?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 01:56:23 UTC 2012

On Monday 20 February 2012 09:10:50 Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 09:03 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > I'm looking for a Fedora/KDE application to convert ogg music format to
> > mp3. (My Android phone does not accept .ogg files.)
>
> Giving a cursory glance would seem to indicate this can easily be done
> on the command line using a combination of  oggdec and lame.

I second this approach. It is easily scriptable, and both oggdec and lame are
readily available and easy to work with.

Note, though, that conversion between ogg and mp3 will drastically deteriorate
the audio quality of the recording. It would be much better to find the master
recording (the source wav file or the audio cd) and convert it directly to mp3.

Of course, the deterioration of signal ultimately depends on the quality of
the playback device. :-)

Also, isn't it possible to install an ogg codec into Android somehow? I am
pretty ignorant about the whole Android technology, but I understand it is
basically a Linux-kernel-based OS, so...

HTH, :-)
Marko