F16 USB pass-through to VirtualBox

Dave Close dave at compata.com
Thu Feb 23 06:23:32 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko wrote:

>> There doesn't appear to be any checkbox in the VBox settings to make
>> this automatic. And running headless, I won't normally be able to do
>> it. There must be some command I can run in the guest to accomplish the
>> same thing as the USB device menu. Perhaps I can put that command in
>> the guest's rc.local.
>
>To attach a usb drive to my system I use...
>VBoxManage controlvm F16-1 usbattach f6273fd2-4176-43dc-9e5b-11ce45b6b7d4
>is that the kind of command you are looking for?

Perhaps. I was thinking of something to run in the guest since that's
where the checkbox seems to be. But maybe I'm just a bit naive. To
run this on the host, I would need to detect when a drive is inserted,
read its UUID, and then run the command. Is that the idea? I presume
you aren't doing it automatically.

I can probably find a way to do this whenever a drive is inserted. But
others may have better ideas so I'd love to hear suggestions.
--
Dave Close, Compata, Irvine CA      "You can't go to Windows Update
dave at compata.com, +1 714 434 7359    and get a patch for stupidity."