F16 USB pass-through to VirtualBox

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Feb 23 07:05:04 UTC 2012

On 02/23/2012 02:23 PM, Dave Close wrote:
> Perhaps. I was thinking of something to run in the guest since that's
> where the checkbox seems to be. But maybe I'm just a bit naive. To
> run this on the host, I would need to detect when a drive is inserted,
> read its UUID, and then run the command. Is that the idea? I presume
> you aren't doing it automatically.

What makes you think the checkbox is on, or associated with, the guest?
I think you are talking about the little USB connector at the bottom
right on the screen surrounding guest display, yes?

The USB hardware exists on the host, so the host must release the USB
hardware and "give" it to a particular guest.  To do what you're
suggesting, the guest would have to communicate with a service
requesting the host to "give" it the hardware.

AFAIK, the available VBox commands on the guest are....

VBoxClient      VBoxClient-all  VBoxControl     VBoxService

You could research those to see if they would do the needful thing.

Of course the documentation is here...
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Documentation

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own.
You may both be wrong. -- Dandemis