Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 23 07:16:50 UTC 2012

On 2/22/2012 10:59 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> For me as a student, this will force me to buy and use Windows
> immediately, which I haven't used since Windows 3.1. It is absolutely
> crucial for me to be able to view all websites, and a lot of them use flash.
> The day this will no longer be possible on my linux machine, I _have_
> to use Windows (to quit at university is no option).

Heinz:

You paint this as a black or white situation. How this all turns out is
yet to be seen. But I think you have to assume that there is no way to
completely escape Windows, its just a matter of how little you have to
use it for.

I've been trying to "kick the Windows habit" for awhile and it gets
better and better each year. But I know that there are just going to be
situations where Windows is best (or only). And, to me, that's part of
the landscape.

Doesn't matter if you are a student, someone in the game, or retired.
The OS world is what it is and you need to change as the landscape
alters itself.

I am not OSX savvy, so I don't know if one can live in a primary Linux
world and secondary OSX with no connection to Windows. My gut says that
its a difficult one as I have been burned too many times on OSX ports of
Windows packages being lacking.

One should use the best tool for the task.
Paul