F16 USB pass-through to VirtualBox

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 15:54:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Dave Close <dave at compata.com> wrote:
> I thought the same thing. As I read the documentation, that's exactly
> what a filter is supposed to do. But I have a "blank" filter, which
> claims it will connect any USB device, and that doesn't happen. My guest
> doesn't see the device until I select it in the guest menu. It's that
> problem which prompted my initial request for help.

Perhaps the part that's confusing you is that a blank filter does not
automatically grab the next inserted USB device. You have to tell it
which device you want to use with the filter.

If you *ALWAYS* want that USB device connected to a particular guest
when it's running, then you should:
1. Plug it in
2. Run virtualbox and open the settings for the host
3. Add the USB device (not a blank filter, but the device itself).

I can't remember if there's any check boxes to make it connect by
default but that should do it. After that, if the device is plugged in
when you start your guest it should automatically get connected. I'm
not sure what will happen if you start the guest first and then plug
in the USB device.

DISCLAIMER: I can't verify this from work so this is from memory and I
might be completely wrong :)

Richard