Fedora 16 kernel panic

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 21:00:10 UTC 2012

Brian Johnson wrote:
> Thank you all for the responses. I went to reboot my laptop into the old
> 3.2.2 kernel to confirm that it was having the same issue, and it boot into
> it with no problem. I then reboot my laptop and let it start up with the
> latest 3.2.7 kernel, and it, too, started with no problem again.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any consistency to it. Hadn't had a chance to make
> any of the suggested changes below....

One possible explanation is dodgy memory: do give it a check. The
memtest86 on a Fedora install would be good for that. There’s also a
chance that some other part of your system (possibly the processor)
isn’t working quite properly: keep an eye out for that. (One traditional
stress-test for processor and memory is a kernel compile).

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | That brought a lump to the eye and a tear to the throat.
aprilcottage.co.uk |     -- “I’m Sorry, I Haven’t A Clue”, BBC Radio 4