how to start fvwm from the console command line?

stan gryt2 at q.com
Wed Feb 29 16:04:01 UTC 2012

I'm looking at alternative window managers to Gnome fallback, the only
Gnome my old hardware and work preference will support.  The more I
investigate fvwm, the more it seems like a nice stable,
extremely configurable solution to my problem.  The modular concept is
great, and the ability to program behavior in a scripting language and
interface seemlessly to the wm seems like a nice idea too.  Sure, there
is a learning curve, and no GUI configuration, but I can come to my
perfect setup, and won't need to worry about dependency on the latest
bee someone has in their bonnet about what constitutes a modern GUI.
Well, at least until I updgrade my hardware, and maybe not even then.

There is a problem though.  How do I start fvwm from a console?  What
is the command for fvwm corresponding to startx or startxfce4?  I found
XSESSION=fvwm2 startx -- :1 vt11
and that works, but seems to just start the regular Gnome fallback
mode that startx by itself does.  Maybe this is so well known that no
one bothers documenting it, but I couldn't find it on the web.

Anyone have an answer?