how to start fvwm from the console command line?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 16:54:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:04:01 -0700
stan wrote:

> Anyone have an answer?

X session startup is one of those things they keep "improving"
so that nothing you find in google is ever accurate or up
to date. I use fvwm myself, but I'm not sure how to make
startx run any particular session. I login to X with KDM
and install the xorg-x11-xinit-session package from yum
which provides a "custom" start option you can select
in the KDM login screen that will actually (gasp!) run
your ~/.xsession script at startup (just like X always
did for 30 years before they improved it).

Then I can run fvwm in my ~/.xsession script.

More info available here:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/stick/stick.html