how to start fvwm from the console command line?

stan gryt2 at q.com
Wed Feb 29 18:38:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:54:06 -0500
Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I login to X with KDM
>
> Then I can run fvwm in my ~/.xsession script.
>
> More info available here:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/stick/stick.html

Thanks for the reference.  Because of the way I installed F15, I boot
to multiuser instead of X (I did a minimal network install, ran
preupgrade in F14 to get the packages for F15 that I used in
F14, then used them to upgrade the minimal install, and left F14
intact as fallback. The Fedora wiki describes the simple process of
cleaning up a partially preupgraded system.).  The minimal install
boots to multiuser by default, I find I like it that way, and
haven't fixed it.  If an X session goes bad, switch to the console it
is running on and type Ctrl-C, all better.  If I find no way to do it
from the console, I'll break down and implement your method after I fix
the boot to be graphical instead of multiuser.

I had no idea that Gnome was so interdependent / monolithic.  Reminds
me of a giant COBOL program. And yes, now that you mention it, that is
how Windows is too. To each their own.  And regardless how I might
frown at that kind of design (where were the architects?), I got lots of
great use out of the interface as long as their idea and mine of what a
GUI is were somewhat similar, and thank them for that, and wish them
well.

A possibility I haven't pursued yet is
http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/
and there look to be some great themes there.  That is supposed to
start with a simple
fvwm-themes-start
from a console.  Fedora doesn't seem to have that as a package, so I'll
compile and install it from tarball.  It seems fairly old, so
might be obsolete.  If that works, I'll upgrade to the latest fvwm
(2.6.4).  I wanted to kick the tires on fvwm before I invested a lot of
time and effort in it.  There are lots of great config files on the web
I wanted to try.  Looks like that plan isn't going to work without some
modification.