dumb question

Marvin Kosmal mkosmal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 08:07:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Paul Allen Newell <pnewell at cs.cmu.edu>wrote:

> On 1/3/2012 11:42 PM, Marvin Kosmal wrote:
>

>> HI
>>
>> Sorry..
>>
>> My bad...
>>
>> The make is +x..
>>
>> Marivn
>>

> Marvin and Ed:
>
> Though I really appreciate both of your replies, I am looking at them and
> seeing that Marvin is saying it needs to be "+x" and Ed is saying it
> doesn't. I ran a test and "-x" seems to work.
>
> For questions on my syntax of "*.sh", I have believed since my earliest
> days that a shell file (be it ".sh", ".csh", ".tcsh", or ".bash") that it
> has to be "+x" as it is an executable. If I am incorrect, I would love to
> know, though it may take me a day or two to adjust to the news that the
> earth shifted polarity (smile)
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Paul

Apples and Oranges..

If you use sh...  In the command line.   as

sh ./filename     The file does not need to be executable.

if you do

./filename     You need to have the  x bit set...

And I agree with you.. When I write shell scripts I use a .sh extension.
Just to make it easy on myself.. It help me identify .sh from .txt files..

HTH

Marvin