dumb question

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 5 01:32:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 16:19 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/04/2012 04:17 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> > Though I can't stand the MS world of extensions meaning something, I
> > can't imagine not using extensions to help understand what is there.
> > The system shouldn't give a damn, but the user needs all the help
> > he/she can get (smile)
>
> Sure, and if someone chooses to use them that is their choice.  I don't
> bash (pun intended) them for it.  I just make sure that the new people I
> run into (at work) know that it isn't necessary.
----
I have a terrific memory but it can be very short. Therefore, I like the
ability to view the contents of a directory to know what the files are
about without having to resort to head/tail/less/file operation to know
that an image is a .jpg, a document is .odt, a bash sript is .sh, etc. I
always thought it it was for my own benefit to append an extension not
because it was necessary (though for some things like web served
documents it sure is necessary).

Craig

believed to be clean.