Yum update/bug alert

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Jan 5 20:36:41 UTC 2012

On 01/05/2012 02:50 PM, g wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 07:39 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> <>
>
>> I want to know that MY system has updates needed to apply, not there has
>> been updates announced.  This is what we have tools like YUM for.
> -=-
>
> then use yum to do your own update check;
>
>    yum check-update
>
> see "man yum".
>
> you can use cron to run a script that redirects output;
>
>    yum check-update>  ~/robert/Desktop/newupdates
>
> and have everything pop does not give you.
>
> yes/no/maybe?

Interesting.  I will have to think about it.

The old panel app told you that:

you have updates and how many
are they important bug fixes
are they security critical

At least that is what I saw over time on the panel.

To see this on the desktop, I would have to go to my last workspace that
has no apps running in it to see.  Of course I have to do that for the
gmone desklet goodweather...