Can I install a 64-bit kernel on a F16 32-bit system

Jim binarynut at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 16:41:19 UTC 2012

On 01/06/2012 09:48 AM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> On 06/01/12 03:59, John Wendel wrote:
>> I just bought more memory for a box that has F16 32-bit installed. Can I
>> install a 64-bit kernel and leave the userland 32-bit?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>>
>    The short answer as far as I know is NO!
>    Unless you have 32bit applications that specifically require the 32bit
> kernel I would suggest this is a bad idea that probably won't work or be
> more trouble than it's worth.
>    I'd recommend you install F16 64bit with 32bit application support.
> This is already implemented and working, and by using backups you should
> be able to do this relatively easily, (compared to your suggestion).
>    If you do find a way of upgrading from f16 32bit to f16 64bit it would
> be interesting to hear how you get on. But I've never heard of it being
> available, or attempted.
>
> regards
>
> cpp4ever
In the fedora repo, install a app called  ailurus, open app and click on
tab "information"  and  scroll down to where you see  "64 bit CPU?"  if
it says Yes! you do
have a 32/64 .

There is still a lot 32 apps out there you can't run on a 64 bit install.
That is why I went back to 32 bit apps on my 32/64 box.

The dual, triple core CPU's run 32/64 bits