Neal Becker Software Package..?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 8 00:10:56 UTC 2012

On 2012/01/07 15:47, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 01/07/2012 03:38 PM, Claude Jones wrote:
>> workflows can be highly dedicated, specific, and unique - one size
>> doesn't fit all
>
> ...and for some of us, fora fit better than email.

Indeed, I for one am not saying mailing lists are the one true way. Nor is the
forum structure.

One must look to the problem being addressed and determine of a forum or a
mailing list might be better. And it may be that a forum structure with an
"off line reader" API might be able to be made better than either a forum
or a mailing list.

This is a fertile field that needs some looking into. After BIX died some
of us looked into this at a place called nlzero. We never did derive a good
solution before I burned out. There were some good ideas presented. We did
get it so that a news reader could be used as well as the text based Telnet
connection interface or offline-reader interfaces that were developed. (We
even had a Java based telnet for people who insisted on using a browser.
We several times overran good sense with our humor. It was thinking out of
the box, though.)

{^_^}   (I fondly remember the old CoSy interface used on McGraw-Hill's BIX
	from 1985 though 1995 or so. It was a forum sort of system you could
	churn through very rapidly.)