Logitech MX Revolution Mouse Problems, wheel button

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 15 15:19:14 UTC 2012

Hi,

I recently installed Fedora 15 after a long respite from Fedora 14, for
the first time in x86_64, and I was excited to see that I could finally
use the wheel button on my MX Logitech Revolution mouse as the "middle"
button for opening new tabs in Firefox and for instant select-copy-paste
(I'm not sure what the official name is for that feature, but I used to
love it). I don't think that the other more accessory buttons on the MX
Revolution used to work either, but now most of them do (namely Search,
Forward, and Back).

**However, after my first session in Fedora 15, the wheel button stopped
working as the middle button.** This is becoming very cumbersome I know
that these new Logitech mice are screwy in that they don't register with
the computer automatically as the middle button in MS Windows either and
you have to set it to do so using software, but it appeared that someone
made a software fix to this issue in Fedora too that unfortunately
didn't stick. When in text mode (runlevel 3), I can do the
select-copy-paste [sic] still by doing some trick of clicking the search
and wheel buttons in some sort of quick sequence, but it is so hard to
do that it only works some of the time, and it still does not work at
all in X11.

I did manage to trash my system trying to install the nVidia drivers
from RPMFusion which are outdated and incompatible with my card so that
I couldn't start X11 anymore and at the time did not have an easy way of
figuring out fixing the issue, so I reinstalled Fedora 15. Same thing
happened again, the wheel button functioned as the middle button and
worked on the first session and then did not work again after that. So
the issue is reproducible.

Does anybody know how I might go about fixing this issue more
permanently? If there is a bug report that should be filed on this, what
package should I report it against?

Thanks,
William