Print problems in AdobeReader (F16)

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Jan 17 09:11:37 UTC 2012

Well, this may not be the perfect place to ask about a closed-source
program, but I'm probably not the only one installing AdobeReader
(acroread) on a Linux system.
Ever since installing Fedora 16, AdobeReader's print properties dialogue
is unusable: no options visible, and the line displaying the print
command is no longer editable. Everything else works, displaying PDFs,
and printing using the "custom" printer and specifying the lpr options
manually. But that is of course not very convenient.

Problem is the same whether I install AdobeReader for rpm
(AdobeReader_enu-9.4.6-1.i486) or from the tar file. The same versions
of AdobeReader work fine on Fedora 14 and 15 (and RHEL 5 and 6). So I
guess there is something that changed in the libraries this program
uses. Or perhaps, since it is only the print dialog that is flawed, in
the interaction with cups.
In case it matters: the Fedora machines are set up with cups just
pointing to a central print server running RHEL 6.

Yes, all PDFs I have work just fine in evince or okular, so it's no big
deal. But sometimes there are those nasty things like pdf forms that
don't really work in the open source viewers, so a solution would be
welcome.

David Jansen