Operating a laptop when closed. Disabling the lid switch ?

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Thu Jan 19 22:02:34 UTC 2012

On Jan 19, 2012 1:11 PM, "Genes MailLists" <lists at sapience.com> wrote:

> On 01/19/2012 03:03 PM, linux guy wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Fulko Hew <fulko.hew at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I won't go so far as say 'over-heat', but _my_ laptop does get 'a lot
> >> warmer' with its lid shut.
> >> Its due to the fact that its backlight rarely gets turned off when the
lid
> >> is closed.
> >> (The difference between one radiating surface versus two.)
> >
> > I am turning the laptop display off entirely with nvidia-settings when
> > I use it in "desktop", ie lid closed, mode.
>
>  Good idea - linux guy - instead of 'do nothing' in kde power applet -
> choose - 'turn off screen' on lid close event.
>
>  gene/
> --

I hope this isn't considered thread hijacking, but can anyone offer a
DE-agnostic method of disabling/managing suspend? I have been experimenting
with a wyse client, and while its much easier to boot from USB or LAN than
hack the locked onboard storage, it doesn't handle suspend well.  Ill start
a new thread if needed, but it seems in scope.