F16 changes

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jan 24 01:35:14 UTC 2012

Michael Hennebry wrote:

>> The new lower limit of 1000 for normal user and group IDs is another
>> issue. The current user has IDs 500 and has rather
>> a lot of files that I want to keep.
>> Fedora's documentation says to use a kickstart file to keep 500.
>
> How?
> If it's documented anywhere, I can't find it.
> From what I've read, %post won't work.
> IDs from the 500-999 range will already have been allocated.
> 'Tain't obvious that %pre would work either.
> If %pre runs before everything else, /etc won't exist yet.

I'm in a similar situation, where I have UID 1000 on my Fedora laptop,
and 500 on the CentOS server.
I'm wondering if there is any simple way of changing my CentOS ID to 1000?

I'm thinking of setting up a new CentOS user with ID 1000,
moving all my files to the new user,
removing my old user entry,
and finally changing the username of the new user back to me.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net