A mystery of Gnome 3.2 and failsafe mode

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 24 21:32:06 UTC 2012

When I installed F16 it would not run in Gnome 3.2 mode because of some
deficiency in the hardware graphics. My graphics card is : 82945G/GZ.
Someone else on the list said he had the same card and Gnome 3.2 came
up. So we have our first mystery. I still have no idea exactly what
graphics cards have this deficiency. Any one to clarify?

Anyway in an attempt to clarify things I downloaded the Live F16 and
when that was run Gnome 3.2 came up normally. Why is this? The idea was
for me to have prior warning if F16 and Gnome 3.2 would run on my
laptop. The Live F16 runs but now we know that won't tell me anything.
Anybody have an idea how I would be able to guess if my laptop with run
F16 properly? I would rather not spend a half a day finding out.

On a sort of unrelated issue, after running the Live F16 on my laptop, I
found power off did not power off the laptop. It was still on but the on
and off button no longer worked. Has anyone else had this problem? It is
hard to completely shutoff  the power to a laptop that has a working
battery. For awhile there I was kind of worried, since I did not want to
yank out the battery.
Q: How many Marxists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A: None: The
lightbulb contains the seeds of its own revolution.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net