And don't let the door hit you on the way out

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Jul 5 02:54:44 UTC 2012

Robert Myers wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>   I am anticipating that I will be able to do that in Ubuntu but not in
>>> Fedora, and conversations in Ubuntu forums indicates that my exact hardware
>>> should work just fine.
>>
>> I fail to grasp what would be so fundamentally different between
>> Ubuntu and Fedora with regards to virtualization and flash support.
>>
> There is no fundamental difference that I know of between Ubuntu and
> Fedora with regard to virtualization.
>
> With regard to flash support, Ubuntu supports it more or less
> transparently and, if you want to use it on Fedora, you can spend the
> rest of your life on forums like this one.  You don't really want me
> here forever, do you?

If you want a distro which does just about everything you want, go Mint. It has
closed source drivers and apps, and vendor drivers. It supports all of the
codecs, protocols, and rip-offs which Fedora can't because it obeys the law,
stays open source, and avoids legal issues. If you think that's a bad thing, go
elsewhere. You have almost completed your metamorphosis from contributor and
explorer to "just user" and are passing through the troll stage. As the vestiges
of the urge to _understand_ rather than _use_ atrophies, we will no longer have
to watch your deterioration, and you will lose the urge to tell us how nice it
is to just use what someone tells you you need.

> The difference between Fedora and Ubuntu that really matters, and if
> you don't want to hear it, just stop reading my posts, is that the
> people who use Ubuntu are generally more like the people who use
> Windows and Canonical knows it and caters to them.  Red Hat (along
> with Fedora and its manifestly snotty community) turns up its nose at
> such users.  It doesn't want them.

You are posting in the wrong place for the problems you are having, you have
gotten pointers to better places, and you stay here sadly repeating "no one here
cares..." People are saying "ask over here" and you are hearing "we don't care."

Anyway thanks for being who you used to be, but you don't seem to be any more.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>