F17 gnome-terminal crashes

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Thu Jul 5 14:35:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 04:03:08PM +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
> I was about to report a bug towards terminal, as several other
> people have, but after trying to start terminal as a fresh test user
> without problems, I'm uncertain about this being a bug in terminal
> or not.
[..]
> $ gnome-terminal
> GConf Error: Configuration server couldn't be contacted: D-BUS
> error: GConf-tjeneren er i ferd med å stenge ned.
[..]
> ERROR:terminal-app.c:1449:terminal_app_init: assertion failed:
> (app->default_profile_id != NULL)
> Aborted (core dumped)
[..]
>   [The D-BUS error translates (approximately?) to "The GConf-server
> is about to shut down")

In GNOME 3.4 gnome-terminal uses gconf to store its settings. In this
version (forgot since when), gconf uses d-bus somehow. As either d-bus
or gconf are not working, gnome-terminal is getting some data it is not
expecting.

Fix the gconf/d-bus issue and gnome-terminal should work. Not sure if
gnome-terminal is supposed to still work even if there is something
wrong with gconf.

For 3.6, the plan is to switch to gsettings (dconf). With gsettings, it
will 100% rely on gsettings to not feed it bad data (gsettings will
check this).

--
Regards,
Olav