F17 gnome-terminal crashes

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 14:54:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 16:35:55 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 04:03:08PM +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
> > I was about to report a bug towards terminal, as several other
> > people have, but after trying to start terminal as a fresh test user
> > without problems, I'm uncertain about this being a bug in terminal
> > or not.
> [..]
> > $ gnome-terminal
> > GConf Error: Configuration server couldn't be contacted: D-BUS
> > error: GConf-tjeneren er i ferd med å stenge ned.
> [..]
> > ERROR:terminal-app.c:1449:terminal_app_init: assertion failed:
> > (app->default_profile_id != NULL)
> > Aborted (core dumped)
> [..]
> >   [The D-BUS error translates (approximately?) to "The GConf-server
> > is about to shut down")
>
> In GNOME 3.4 gnome-terminal uses gconf to store its settings. In this
> version (forgot since when), gconf uses d-bus somehow. As either d-bus
> or gconf are not working, gnome-terminal is getting some data it is not
> expecting.
>
> Fix the gconf/d-bus issue and gnome-terminal should work. Not sure if
> gnome-terminal is supposed to still work even if there is something
> wrong with gconf.
>
> For 3.6, the plan is to switch to gsettings (dconf). With gsettings, it
> will 100% rely on gsettings to not feed it bad data (gsettings will
> check this).

This affects other GConf based apps, too.

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/756245
  Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
  D-BUS error: The GConf daemon is currently shutting down.

Typically, the apps really just try to get/set some gconf value and
that fails (Python gconf based apps crash with GError, for instance).
They would need to try harder, sleep some time, then try again, but
that wouldn't help either if gconf daemon has crashed. Some users
report that they restart the daemon to make apps work again.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.4.4-3.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.62 0.61 0.38