Fedora 18 and UEFI

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs986 at att.net
Sat Jul 7 12:46:01 UTC 2012

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 08:58:31 -0300
Itamar Reis Peixoto <itamar at ispbrasil.com.br> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM, suvayu ali
> <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I realise I can turn Secure Boot off, but hardware manufacturers
> > have often dropped the ball on complying with standards. What if
> > the next generation of motherboards/laptops make it harder to turn
> > off secure boot? Just to make it clear, the questions above are not
> > rhetorical. I just want to understand better the implications as an
> > end-user.
> >

> I think we are bigger enough to say no and buy only hardware
> compatible.

Good luck with that!  I've been thinking about replacing this computer
with something newer, so when I was in my local computer store
yesterday, I asked if they had any motherboards or systems that did
not have this UEFI/Microsoft crap installed. Nope. None. Nil. Zilch.
Nada. Ain't no such critter. All gone. It's hiding with Judge
Crater and Jimmy Hoffa. You get the message...

Ok, so Fedora has worked out one way forward. Ubuntu is going in
another direction. I haven't seen anything about any of the other
distros. Has anyone heard anything about Debian?

-- cmg