Matching message headers in mutt hooks

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Tue Jul 10 14:23:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 03:34:12PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> > You could do something like the following:
> > Create in ~/ the files .mime.types and .mailcap
> >
> > ~/.mime.types
> > application/pdf pdf
> >
> > ~/.mailcap
> > application/pdf; evince %s; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"
> > application/pdf; pdftotext %s %s.txt \; cat %s.txt \; rm -f %s.txt ;
> > copiousoutput
> >
> > then edit ~/.muttrc and add:
> > auto_view text/html message/* application/pdf
> >
> > If I didn't make any mistake you should get a text rendering
> > of the pdf directly in mutt (for a quick look).
> > I you want to see the pdf in evince hit 'v', select the pdf
> > and hit 'enter'.

> Opening the attachement part works wonderfully! I didn't seem to see a
> preview, but then it could be because the pdf was a beamer presentation
> with lots of plots.

I should probably have indicated that 'copiousoutput' should be
on the SAME line as "application/pdf; pdftotext %s %s.txt \; cat %s.txt
\; rm -f %s.txt ;"

I don't use it myself anymore so I tried it now and that works.

I would also change the ~/.muttrc entry to:
auto_view text/html application/pdf
(leave out the 'message/*')

I am a bit rusty on mutt mime so I copied from an old laptop
I hardly ever use anymore where I also have the following line in
the ~/.mailcap file:
text/html; elinks -dump %s; nametemplate=%s.html; copiousoutput
to get a text vesion of html mail.

Success
Alexander