NetworkManager strange stuff -

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Tue Jul 10 21:37:31 UTC 2012

On 07/10/2012 04:28 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>    This is F-17/64 bit.
>
>    The dd-wrt router assigns dhcp addresses on our LAN. However this
>    computer 192.168.1.9., if I let NetworkManager assign an address via
>    dhcp it insists on assigning 192.168.1.10, the next unused dhcp
>    address no matter what I enter under NM edit Automatic. If I go to
>    NM edit and assign the address as Manual it becomes 192.168.1.9 as
>    expected. Obviously the simple solution is to stay with the latter case.
>
>    My question then is, is this to be expected due to two dhcp servers
>    trying to assign an address, or am I doing something wrong?.

Having two DHCP servers with overlapping IP ranges is A Bad Thing.

My router is set to do DHCP in the range .100 to .199.  My PC has a
static address set via NM as .10. All static IP addresses (for me) are
in the range .10 to .50.  My wife has .51 to .98. Thus, peace and
harmony are preserved.

Another option is to set a reserved address on the router for your
computer so it always gets .9 and let NM use NetworkManager. That's
probably the way I should have set up my network, but I'm too lazy to go
back and fix things.

--
-- Steve