NetworkManager strange stuff -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Jul 10 23:47:44 UTC 2012

On 10/07/12 17:37, Steven Stern types:
> On 07/10/2012 04:28 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>>     This is F-17/64 bit.
>>
>>     The dd-wrt router assigns dhcp addresses on our LAN. However this
>>     computer 192.168.1.9., if I let NetworkManager assign an address via
>>     dhcp it insists on assigning 192.168.1.10, the next unused dhcp
>>     address no matter what I enter under NM edit Automatic. If I go to
>>     NM edit and assign the address as Manual it becomes 192.168.1.9 as
>>     expected. Obviously the simple solution is to stay with the latter case.
>>
>>     My question then is, is this to be expected due to two dhcp servers
>>     trying to assign an address, or am I doing something wrong?.
>>
> Having two DHCP servers with overlapping IP ranges is A Bad Thing.
>
> My router is set to do DHCP in the range .100 to .199.  My PC has a
> static address set via NM as .10. All static IP addresses (for me) are
> in the range .10 to .50.  My wife has .51 to .98. Thus, peace and
> harmony are preserved.
>
> Another option is to set a reserved address on the router for your
> computer so it always gets .9 and let NM use NetworkManager. That's
> probably the way I should have set up my network, but I'm too lazy to go
> back and fix things.

    Ok, so there's nothing I can do without changing my system address
    assignments which began before I started using NetworkManager. I
    will just assign the NM address manually.

    It works either way but I like to see the device names I have
    assigned in the DHCP client list and when it assigns a new address I
    lose the name, it's blank.

    Thanks for the help.

    Bob

--