NetworkManager strange stuff -

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed Jul 11 00:36:21 UTC 2012

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA <bobgoodwin <at> wildblue.net> writes:

> On 10/07/12 17:37, Steven Stern types:
> > On 07/10/2012 04:28 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> >>     This is F-17/64 bit.
> >>
> >>     The dd-wrt router assigns dhcp addresses on our LAN. However this
> >>     computer 192.168.1.9., if I let NetworkManager assign an address via
> >>     dhcp it insists on assigning 192.168.1.10, the next unused dhcp
> >>     address no matter what I enter under NM edit Automatic. If I go to
> >>     NM edit and assign the address as Manual it becomes 192.168.1.9 as
> >>     expected. Obviously the simple solution is to stay with the latter case.
> >>
> >>     My question then is, is this to be expected due to two dhcp servers
> >>     trying to assign an address, or am I doing something wrong?.
<SNIP>

>     Ok, so there's nothing I can do without changing my system address
>     assignments which began before I started using NetworkManager. I
>     will just assign the NM address manually.
>
>     It works either way but I like to see the device names I have
>     assigned in the DHCP client list and when it assigns a new address I
>     lose the name, it's blank.
>
>     Thanks for the help.
>
>     Bob

You will find that *BOTH* the DHCP client and DHCP server cache previous
addresses.  A client that has had an address will request the same address.
Even if the client doesn't ask for the same address, the server will check its
cache to see if a particular address was previously assigned and will re-assign
the same address.

Found this out the hard way when trying to get DHCPv6 working.  Still have some
similar oddities to you that I need to clean out caches to make go away.

Cheers,
Dave