Motherboards

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 23:36:21 UTC 2012

On 07/11/2012 03:35 AM, Gary Hodder wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering what motherboards users are using on there Linux box?
> I had a Asus m4a79t delux but in corroded under 2 years and failed.
> Asus blames the customer oxidation and will not give warranty even
> though it has 3 years warranty.
> Strange how a old p5 Intel machine beside it is perfectly fine.
> Asus warranty not worth the paper its written on.
> Have a Asus crosshair V formula that spent more times being repaired
> than been used.
> It still comes up with eprom errors on boot and runs like a dog and Asus
> will not give money back as they say they do not support Linux.
> So we have proved that this brand is crap, what else is there?
>
> Am looking at the Gigabyte ga-990fxa-d3, does this board play well with
> Linux as looking at putting it in what was the m4a79t box.
>
> Thanks
> Gary.

I have an MSI K9MM-V MoBo in my CentOS 6.2 box.  While I had F12/F13 on
it I had issues with the HD on the IDE port disappearing at random
intervals.  To get the drive back I had to reboot the machine.

I don't know if this behavior is still the same with CentOS 6.2 because
I eventually removed the IDE drive.

The built in sound card has line and microphone inputs.  I've never been
able to get the line input to work.  The microphone input did work for a
short while.  I was never able to make it work again after the first few
days.

As for Gigabyte Mobos and Gigabyte's Hybrid EFI in connection to Linux
you might want to read this web site:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gb-hybrid-efi/

--
     _