Can't boot Linux after motherboard change

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 12 02:24:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 15:59 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> I still don't know what Linux is doing during boot that causes it to
> power the system off while Windows boots just fine.

Do you use an encrypted drive?  That's one thing that would require
intensive CPU to decrypt, and one thing that Windows probably isn't
doing.

On my my older Fedora release, I do see something similar.  When I boot
up, my laptop CPU rapidly gets *very* hot while just sitting there
waiting for me to enter the password to decrypt the drive.  Dunno why
it's grinding its gears before it's actually doing the work.

No, it's not just the fan running at full speed, uncontrolled, it is
venting out hot air.  Usually, there's just a slightly warm breeze being
vented.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686