Mutt over intermittent connection

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Wed Jul 18 10:00:24 UTC 2012

On 18.07.2012, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> I observe that after a connection change
> mutt cannot send emails anymore. It fails with "Cannot find
> smtp.gmail.com". However it works again once I have restarted Mutt.

I've never used mutt to connect directly to a mailserver (I run my own
local postfix) and have therefore no experience in doing so.

In this case, when you have established a valid internet connection,
it should work fr mutt to resolve smtp.gmail.com and connect to it. I
would examine first if this is a dns/resolver problem (dig
smtp.gmail.com), and if it isn't, a tcptraceroute to smtp.gmail.com
and the port it uses should make you see where/what blocks the
packets.