Export restrictions legalese in Fedora scare would-be local mirror

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:28:31 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Andy Blanchard <zocalo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe, having pointed out that they continue to host CentOS/Debian, you
> could request clarification of what makes them exempt and take it from
> there?
>
> Alternatively, they *are* a telco, and a state-owned one at that - not
> exactly a combination known for adopting a flexible approach!  Although I
> admire your efforts in establishing a local Argentinian mirror, I suspect
> this may just be a matter of time before you end up calling it a day and
> using an alternative mirror.

My half-italian genes kicked in and I wrote a somewhat unpolite email
telling "oh rly?" ;) and pointing at export restrictions legalese in
the apache.org site too (that they mirror), along with the CentOS
discussion.

Result: he apologized and told me there would be a local mirror during
the week. :)
I also suggested them they could mirror it from Chilean or Brazilian
existing mirrors so there would be no connection to US based
servers...

Sometimes carrying a hatchet works. ;))
FC