F17 takes so long to reboot/poweroff

Richard Vickery richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 05:15:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Richard Vickery <
richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM, sguazt <marco.guazzone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Richard Vickery
>> <richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > My 2 cents:
>> >
>> > Why do you need to reboot? What are you doing at power-off that you
>> need to
>> > hang around and wait for it? If a portable computer, just close it,
>> pack it
>> > away before the lights go out, and walk away? and is a minute and 38
>> seconds
>> > really SO important? If this minuscule amount time is so important, you
>> > could retire and get more of your minute and a half.
>> >

>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> I need to reboot/power-off mainly for 2 reasons:
>> 1. I have a dual-boot system (Linux+Win)
>> 2. The battery of my laptop has low capacity
>>
>> For what concerns the 1min and 38sec, it's not an infinity but IMHO is
>> a very long time if I compare it with F16 (that was installed on the
>> same laptop).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -- Marco
>>

> So is it crashing that you are worried about? My main, though unstated,
> point was that, at least in my opinion, time for bootup is not a concern in
> the Linux world. I think our concern has more to do with making a safe,
> secure, unbreakable computing environment. Because of the name - Beefy
> Miracle - I don't think we care about the time it takes to boot up as long
> as it works. It's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

If you really need it to boot up faster, it is possible to go into /boot
and stop grub from calling up as many things, but it is inadvisable; you
could end up screwing things badly enough that the computer will not boot
into the current installation anymore.