F17 takes so long to reboot/poweroff

sguazt marco.guazzone at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 07:39:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Richard Vickery
<richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Richard Vickery
> <richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:
[cut]

> If you really need it to boot up faster, it is possible to go into /boot and
> stop grub from calling up as many things, but it is inadvisable; you could
> end up screwing things badly enough that the computer will not boot into the
> current installation anymore.

Boot time is rather OK. It's the shutdown/reboot time that IMO is too long.
In the timing I reported the shutdown/reboot time refers to the time
when I issue the poweroff/reboot command and the system turns off or
shows the first "BIOS" screen (the one that appears before GRUB)

So, for instance, in case of a reboot you have to wait more than 2 min, that is:
- 1min and 40sec to let the system power off
- 30 sec to let the system boot

Cheers,

-- Marco