F17 takes so long to reboot/poweroff

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Jul 25 17:48:04 UTC 2012

On 07/25/2012 12:39 AM, sguazt issued this missive::
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Richard Vickery
> <richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Richard Vickery
>> <richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:
> [cut]
>>
>> If you really need it to boot up faster, it is possible to go into /boot and
>> stop grub from calling up as many things, but it is inadvisable; you could
>> end up screwing things badly enough that the computer will not boot into the
>> current installation anymore.
>
> Boot time is rather OK. It's the shutdown/reboot time that IMO is too long.
> In the timing I reported the shutdown/reboot time refers to the time
> when I issue the poweroff/reboot command and the system turns off or
> shows the first "BIOS" screen (the one that appears before GRUB)
>
> So, for instance, in case of a reboot you have to wait more than 2 min, that is:
> - 1min and 40sec to let the system power off
> - 30 sec to let the system boot

Marco,

Check your session and make sure you don't have more than one credential
store running in your desktop. That can keep the desktop from shutting
down in a timely manner. I had that issue (XFCE, F16) and turning off
the extra credential store things (that were redundant) fixed the
problem. You really only need the Gnome keyring stuff running, disable
the others if they're running.
-              Never eat anything larger than your head              -