F17 takes so long to reboot/poweroff

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 29 13:57:48 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-07-28 at 22:27 -0400, Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I wrote:
> I too would be concerned with a long shut-down time.....only because,
> as stated before when using Windows the longer an application or
> computer takes to shut down could mean all KINDS of things are taking
> place that are unknown to the user. From viruses and trojan files
> being installed......to the hard drive being deleted a byte at a time.
> If there's one thing I've learned to do with Linux it's that every two
> weeks I run BleachBit and this seems to keep my system pretty fast.

Sounds more tin-foil-hat paranoia than just cautious computing.

My main concerns with computers that take too long to shutdown are that
it wastes my time, and it's far more likely that the computer is going
to have the power abruptly disconnected, to put an end to it, when
patience is finally exhausted.

It's usually caused, here, by things like a hard drive has fallen asleep
some time ago, and the computer insists on waking it up again before it
will shut down.  If you investigate a bit, it's quite clear that the
hard drive was synced up long ago (that's how it's managed to stay
asleep for an hour, or so), and the computer could have just ignored it
during shutdown.  I dare say that the situation is the same with other
power managed devices (them being a cause of shutdown pauses and halts,
and unnecessary wake-up attempts).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686