External disk problem.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jul 30 10:35:42 UTC 2012

On 07/30/2012 06:29 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 18:20 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 07/30/2012 06:16 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
>>> In this case a suggestion that for whatever reason the kernel hasn't
>>> properly dealt with the removal of the device that had been assigned to
>>> sdd (it presumably existed at some point for the sysfs path to have been
>>> created).
>> Fresh install, 2 days ago....  Never had a drive there...  And Never had a drive in sdc either...
> Do you have a card reader device?

Yes....  And that is sde.

>>> If you're not getting entries in the logs when the problem happens you
>>> can either look at other ways to get the logs out (e.g. serial console)
>>> or you can try suspending and resuming from the console to see if
>>> anything is printed (I have no idea if you are or not - you haven't
>>> actually described the problem you are seeing so I'm just assuming it's
>>> the "same" as Erik described since you are replying to his thread).
>> I don't have *any* problems on my system....  I never said I did....check the archive.
> Not clear why you're replying to the thread then.

?????   What?   Only the OP with the problem is allowed?  You mean I can't ask any questions or give my input?

>> I am simply dubious that this "state" has any valid meaning.
> Supporting Linux storage configurations is my day job and I'd tend to
> disagree. I guess the SCSI maintainers share that view since they've
> chosen to maintain the file (and the internal state it maps to) for some
> time.
>
> Not knowing how debug from or interpret a particular piece of
> information does not render that information useless.

Well...   Since it is your day job.   And I am sure you are willing to impart your wisdom on folks....

If a drive is not plugged into a port, then what does "running" mean?