External disk problem.

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 10:51:41 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 18:35 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/30/2012 06:29 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> > Do you have a card reader device?
>
> Yes....  And that is sde.

I would guess it's a multi-card reader device and those additional SCSI
device nodes correspond to empty slots within the reader (and you'll
probably find that the removable attribute is set on them).

> ?????   What?   Only the OP with the problem is allowed?  You mean I can't ask any questions or give my input?

Not at all but posts should be relevant to the thread and explain
anything that other readers might need to know (like the fact that you
don't have any problems, are running commands on a different type of
device that's also removable etc.).

Posting random output from your machine as though it proves something is
not helpful to anyone and just serves to confuse people.

Install sg3_utils and run "sg_map -i" if you really want to know (with
root privileges if you want the inquiries to succeed).

> Well...   Since it is your day job.   And I am sure you are willing to impart your wisdom on folks....

Fedora lists are something I do on my own time for fun and because I am
a user of the distribution. I don't get paid for that.

> If a drive is not plugged into a port, then what does "running" mean?

In your case I would imagine that it's a removable SCSI device that has
no media present but you're asking us to investigate through a letterbox
- if you're interested in understanding something you need to post
enough information about it that readers can make an informed comment.

Bryn.