Configuring graphics(resolution) on Dell Vostro 460 i5

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 11:19:28 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 19:05 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I find the output of lspci a bit odd.   I thought that it would indicate the card type.  Mine, for example, is ...
>
> 1:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce GT 230] (rev a2)

Getting numeric output indicates that the pci.ids database doesn't
contain an entry for this model (usually new devices that appeared
later).

> Do you know what model you have?  It "may" be that the card is not being detected properly or the card is not support by the default NOUVEAU driver.

I think 0de2 is "NVIDIA GeForce GT 420". You can get an updated PCI IDs
table using the update-pciids command (part of pciutils - note that this
will replace the one installed by the hwdata RPM so you may want to back
it up if you want to preserve the original).

This ID is defined in the current list but not the version present on my
F17 systems:

       0de2  GF108 [GeForce GT 420]

If it's a recent device that may explain why it's not known to nouveau
(if that's the case).

The X log should show whether it's using vesa or nouveau.

Bryn.