Configuring graphics(resolution) on Dell Vostro 460 i5

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jul 30 11:05:54 UTC 2012

On 07/30/2012 06:43 PM, Oscar Vidal wrote:
> I tried already these commands and these are the outputs:
>
> # lspci | grep -i vga
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0de2 (rev a1)
>
> # xrandr
> xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
> Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
> default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>    1024x768        0.0*
>    800x600         0.0
>    640x480         0.0
>

> when really the max resolution is 1600x900

I find the output of lspci a bit odd.   I thought that it would indicate the card type.  Mine, for example, is ...

1:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce GT 230] (rev a2)

Do you know what model you have?  It "may" be that the card is not being detected properly or the card is not support by the default NOUVEAU driver.

Also, can you supply the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Is this Fedora the only version of Linux you've tried on this hardware?