F-17 vlc/rpmfusion install problem -

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 06:46:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 18:54:28 -0400, Carroll Grigsby wrote:

> Bob:
> Take a look here:
>
> http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f16.html
>
> Although this site is for Fedora 16, it worked OK for me on Fedora 17,
> and I expect that the new version will be available within the next few
> days. It's a bit like a cafeteria: just go down the line and take what
> you want. I've been using it since at least Fedora 8.
>
> Best part: No typing, just cut and paste.

The problem in this thread has been that the rpmfusion-*-release packages
were installed already, but their file contents were damaged. Hence a "yum
reinstall …" of those packages was not an option. It was necessary to
repair the files. Erasing the installed packages and installing them again
was one of many ways how to achieve that. For other package problems, one
likely would not have gone the erase+install route.

[...]

Btw, "rpm" can access the network directly, too, so commands like

  rpm -ivh http://…/something.rpm

do work. That is not suggested too often, however, since if installation
fails (for various reasons), running the command again results in another
download.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.3.7-1.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.39 0.56 0.37