Understanding fc17 partitioning

Peter A loony at loonybin.org
Sun Jun 3 03:31:03 UTC 2012

On 06/02/2012 11:17 PM, William Brown wrote:
>> Ah, of course, thanks. I believe the two disks were previously
>> partitioned using fdisk. This must be the reason why I had a mixture
>> of GPT and fdisk layouts on the four disks.
> The reason for this, is that you can have a hybrid GPT partition, which
> also has MBR signatures for older bioses etc. So in fdisk, you will see
> on the MBR signatures. to see the GPT signatures you need parted, or I
> think gdisk? You can use these to flag which partitions will be in the
> hybrid mbr tables.

Also keep in mind that any properly formatted GPT disk, will have an old
style partition table in the first sector and the GPT starts in sector
two. The old style partition table contains a single partition spanning
the whole disk (or the first 2TB on larger drives) with the type ee. The
purpose of this is that the disk shows up as used and is not wrongly
assumed empty by software that's not GPT aware.
sdb and sdc in the original post show exactly that. Use parted to show
the gpt partitions.

Peter.

--
http://www.meaninglessrelic.com