How to run KNetworkManager

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jun 5 14:27:55 UTC 2012

On 06/05/2012 09:58 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Yes, that was really my point. I wasn't sure if this route (through System
> Settings) was provided by NM or KNM. As far as I can see, one gets exactly the same
> information this way as if one right-clicks on what I think of as the NM icon in
> the system tray. So it is not clear to me what KNM adds to the meal.

Oh, of course the big difference between what is in "System Settings" and what is in
the "System Tray" is that the "System Tray" has the bits which allow you to up/down
the interfaces.

What is in "System Settings" and "System Tray" are both considered to be part of
KNM.  They are both interfaces to NM but are both KDE specific and written using Qt
(KDEish) as opposed to GTK+ (GNOMEiish)

>> I really don't have any problems using "Network Manager".  I found it
>> "mostly" simple
>> to setup an openVPN connection.  Still have to write a bugzilla about how
>> it "should"
>> restrict where you put certs.  But, without knowing the specifics about
>> problems people encounter....it is hard to comment.
>
> As far as I can see, the old network service
> has got mixed up with NM in some way,
> and is no longer a genuine alternative?

I don't really desire to start another thread that debates and speculates on why
certain paths were taken.

But, you certainly don't have to use NetworkManager if you don't want to....at least
in F16 (I've not played with F17).   There isn't an option to not use it on
install....like there is LVM.  But, you could switch after install.  I think it has
been talked about recently.

I've not had any "failures" in anything NetworkManager related recently.  But, when
you do be sure to bring it up.  :-)

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage