How to run KNetworkManager

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jun 5 15:12:16 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko wrote:

>> As far as I can see, the old network service
>> has got mixed up with NM in some way,
>> and is no longer a genuine alternative?

> But, you certainly don't have to use NetworkManager if you don't want
> to....at least
> in F16 (I've not played with F17).   There isn't an option to not use it
> on
> install....like there is LVM.  But, you could switch after install.  I
> think it has been talked about recently.

I think the problem with the network service now
(and this has been the case for some time, certainly in Fedora-16)
is that one used to be able to use system-config-network
to set up or modify the interfaces.

But now if I start the network service
it just tries to bring up eth1 and wlan0 (in my case)
and if it fails there seems nothing much one can do about it,
except to look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 (or whatever)
and see if any modification there will help.

(System-config-network does not even mention wlan0, only eth1.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net