fedora 17 hates me

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Jun 10 21:12:31 UTC 2012

The only thing that seems to have gone right is the install.
I managed to do an install without media, even though at
the time I didn't have grub2 and the instructions assumed that one did.
I went by the F14 instructions.

The first thing I noticed is that grub.cfg is 477 lines long.
There is a header that is 75 lines long.
I think the part associated with my new Fedora 17 is 148 lines long.
The installer picked up on several other OS's.

The Windoze actually boots and runs.
My old Fedora 14 does not.
It seems to boot.
It fills in the ice cream cone with the finfinity symbol.
The it stops.  No mouse or any offer to let my log in.
I can't even get to another console.
boot.log is okay.
messages ends with a message that the login demon received signal 15 (TERM).

Also I can't print.
Though I had my printer connected and turned on during the install,
only print-to-file was allowed by default.
I had to add a printer explicitly.
There appears to be o documented way to do that from Xfce.
Had I not remembered port 631, I would not have been able to do so.
It didn't work.
It printed, but only gibberish, including the test page.
That seemed a familiar problem, but I did not remember how to handle it.
Eventually, I remembered hplip and told yum to install it.
Still no go.
When I tell the GUI I have an HPLIP printer,
"See "Network Printers" for the correct URI to use with your printer."
http://localhost:631/ipp does not work, no such URI.
http://127.0.0.1:631/ipp does not work either.
There is no error message, it just does not print.

I'm starting to think that I should re-install grub1 and go back to 14.
At least it ran.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily