Fedora 17 - CPU Fan Speed

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jun 13 14:44:28 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 14:43:18 +0200,
   Mateusz Marzantowicz <mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply. I'm now trying to identify which fan is noisy. The
>problem is that I already have latest BIOS update installed and week ago
>on Ubuntu 12.04 I had no such problem with fans going to fast. My load
>avg is 2.0 at max (3 kvms running but not so busy) and long term CPU
>utilization is below 5%-10%. The only difference is that previously I
>had AMD Catalyst driver installed for Radeon HD 5750 and now I'm using
>the default Open Source driver, so I'll be investigating graphics at
>first. I also noticed that video card is warmer than other parts of my
>set but it might be a false alarm. Thanks anyway for the reply.

If it's you GPU fan that is running at high speed, that makes more sense.
Graphics card power management is still a work in progress. There are a
lot of improvements coming down the pike, that should make it for F18.

Looking at http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature it looks like power management
features are complete for evergreen (HD5xxx). It also looks like you
can set a profile by storing a value into
/sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method . It might be worth playing with that.