OT: nvidia video for linux a good idea?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jun 18 15:25:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 02:39:01 -0700,
   Edward M <edwardm1 at live.com> wrote:

>After viewing linus disagreeable remarks towards nvidia in a
>resentment way.  made me wonder if
> nvidia linux support has been decreasing over the years and i should
>look into either amd,intel graphics instead or
>he is simply overreacting and nvidia support is not that bad?

What are you expecting out of your graphics card? Are you running graphics
intense games, CUDA, off-line rendering? If you aren't using it for stuff
that needs a powerful video card, any recent card should be good enough.

I am finding the intel embedded driver support the most reliable (sumwars
doesn't crash) with free drivers right now, but I have pretty old graphics
hardware.