Fedora 17

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 17:00:31 UTC 2012

On 06/18/2012 05:36 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 09:17 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 06/18/2012 06:24 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:
>>> If the review just focusses on the
>>> desktop environment, then at least you can assume that the distribution
>>> part was good.
>>
>> True.  You should, however, be clear just what's responsible for the
>> issues you're complaining about.
>
> Let me repeat, I know Fedora is not directly responsible for Gnome 3.
> However, if it clear that there are aspects of the default DE supplied
> with a Fedora product that are ill-designed I would expect that Fedora
> would have words with Gnome about what they are doing. It has more clout
> then we do. When the default DE has aspects they are prima faca evidence
> that the GNOME developers were not thinking clearly in including them
> Gnome should be given an ultimatum that they straighten things out or
> Fedora will find another DE to supply to its users.

Fedora already did.  No-one is saying that your complaints are not
justified, just that they're in the wrong place.  Fedora will continue
to provide alternatives to GNOME for people who don't like it.  In
other words, The only thing that Fedora can do about GNOME 3 is
already being done.

In a way it's a shame that there has to be a default, but a new user
won't be able sensibly to answer the "GNOME, KDE, XFCE?" question.

Andrew.