Lockup issue

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon Jun 18 17:00:43 UTC 2012

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with nVidia graphics, using the nouveau
driver and the latest F17 kernel.  The display is set to use the docking
station monitor when it is available.

When I insert it the docking station, if it is powered up, the laptop
screen blanks and it locks up instantly.  If it is suspended, it locks
up a few seconds after resume.  Neither laptop nor external display ever
comes on.

I've tried the nvidia drivers, and they seem somewhat more reliable, but
they have some other issues (and, of course, I'd rather run open
drivers).  This was not an issue when I was running F15 and nvidia
drivers.

Any similar experiences?  Is this probably a driver bug or is it more
likely to be a kernel bug?
--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Math Sciences