dracut fails to gen initramfs

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 23:13:26 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 04:18 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/20/2012 06:05 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 06/20/2012 12:12 AM, JD wrote:
>>> Ed, my F16 was a fresh install - Full install!
>>> I did not ever create that frikin' directory.
>>> I have no idea what rpm created it. I never
>>> installed 64bit rpms manually.
>>> The reason I was trying to create the initramfs
>>> is because someone commented on the bug
>>> (bugzilla.redhat.com) that the problem (panic
>>> of kernel 3.3.8-1 at boot) may be caused by my
>>> lack of the initrd line in the menu of that kernel
>>> in grub.cfg. There was NO initramfs for 3.3.8-1
>>> in /boot. So, I was trying to create one, in order
>>> for the initrd line (which I was going to manually
>>> add) would make the kernel successfully boot.
>>> However, i read in another fedora forum, a user
>>> saying that he does not have the initramfs for the
>>> kernel he is booting, and it boots just fine.
>>>
>> You mean you chose to install "Everything"?  What made you do that?
> I meant to say "How did you do that?".  AFAIK, there is no "Everything" install.
You are right - Fedora does not have "Everything" link.
Interestingly enough, I recall that it was either FreeBSD
or Redhat Linux had that option.
As I just explained, for each category, fedora installer
lets you click on a link which shows all packages available
in the category, and by default, a few of them are marked
for installation - so I checkmark all of them.